Tuesday, April 26, 2011

New York City - Day 4 (and 5)

Internet connection troubles prevented me from finishing this up while we were still in NYC, but this is what we did on Sunday - which didn't feel much like Easter with the family on different sides of the country. 


This is the LDS Temple in New York City, which normally doesn't have Sunday meetings, but this one is a little unique.  The 2nd and 3rd floors are used for the local ward or branch (which we attended), while the rest of it is a normal temple.  I didn't think it was quite as beautiful as most others, like Los Angeles or Salt Lake, but it was nice to find just a block from Central Park.

The Easter Bunny found us at the hotel after all.  Braiden and Shannon M. hung out with us for a while on Sunday.  (I was most surprised to look at this picture afterward and see Taylor actually gave the Bunny a hug!)

Taylor, Shannon, and Braiden and I rented bikes and road around Central Park - along with thousands of others!  But it was a nice way to cover a lot more ground.

On top of a bridge in Central Park.

Another cool statue in Central Park - I like monuments like this.

The magnolia trees were blooming quite spectacularly (Braiden didn't realize it was similar to the one we have in our yard).

After hanging out with Braiden in Central Park, Taylor and I had lunch at an unusual place called the Jekyll & Hyde Club.  It's full of animatronics and very dark and even musty smelling inside, and basically you're paying for the show they put on.  The food wasn't anything special but I guess it was at least interesting.

But we went from some of the lowest low-brow entertainment to some of the highest high-brow stuff.  That night was the main reason we were all there - where Braiden's choir (El Camino Real Camerata) got to perform with some other choirs at Carnegie Hall.  The place was pretty amazing and the acoustics were fantastic from our nose-bleed seats.  We had front-row seats in the highest balcony in the place and I actually got rather dizzy twice.  The first was when Taylor asked how I thought they changed the lights in the ceiling, and I became positively light-headed as I considered the question.  The second was during the first two parts (before the choir) when a violinist played and incredible Paganini concerto with the orchestra - he was so good I wanted to stand but was afraid I'd fall over.  It was really a great night (and the choir sounded amazing) and I wish they'd have allowed us to take photos.

As for Monday, we were so tired from all the running around all weekend that we spent the morning doing a little shopping prior to having to catch our return flight home.  It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed spending the time with Taylor, but I think we're both glad to be home now.

1 comment:

  1. I loved New York! Sounds like you were able to see alot too! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete