Monday, December 31, 2012

Songs from the Cold War #12: the end

Maybe there were a lot more songs I missed, but I'm going to end my list with one about the end of the Cold War: "Wind Of Change" by Scorpions.  Maybe the cracks in the Iron Curtain were plain to see, but I think most of us were stunned when it came down in 1989.  I remember following the news at the time, and it was... well, unbelievable and even unthinkable!  You just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, so to speak, and for the communists to brutally and violently stomp out the mostly peaceful revolutions that were springing up – tentatively in some cases – in Eastern Europe, and I'm sure most of them were waiting for it, too.  And the miracle was that it never happened.  If you'd ever suggested it would end like that I'd have thought you were a fool – and I wouldn't have been the only one. 


No comments:

Post a Comment