Saturday, December 29, 2012

Songs from the Cold War #11: Getting literary

Still with me on this list?  Well, I've pretty much already listed all the songs I could think of that seemed to have themes of nuclear destruction and war, so allow me to take a little detour.  Ever read George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four?  I had to read it in two nights for a book report in high school; and while 300 pages is a lot to read in just two nights it's also a lot to take in.  But I remember thinking how prophetic it must be about society in the Soviet Union and how controlling the State was.  Yeah, I thought, that's who Orwell was talking about, with their Gulag and thought-police.  And Oingo Boingo encouraged me to read the book when they sang "Wake Up (It's 1984)" (oh yeah, I had a punk[ish] streak to my musical tastes!).  I could have never imagined – back in 1984 when I read 1984 – how it would look today here in the land of milk and honey, the way companies like FaceBook (and other "Big Brothers") can track our every digital move.  Yes, "Big Brother's [still] watching," but I'm not so sure we're "watch[ing] him back" or that "we see right through his disguise."  (Sorry, I couldn't find a video for this one, so I picked the one that sounded the best.)


No comments:

Post a Comment