Saturday, October 6, 2012

"We are but your children..."

One hit wonders – that's the stuff a lot of great new wave music was made of. Not that there's anything wrong with that – you don't have to bother buying the whole album only to find out the only song you really like was the one you heard on the radio. "Whisper to a Scream (Birds Fly)" was the only hit for Icicle Works in the US although they had several in the UK (where the title of this song was reversed). I looked up the videos to a couple of the others but didn't care for them. Speaking of which, what's with all the leaves blowing around in the video? (It made me wonder if they got leaves in their mouths while singing.)

Anyway, I looked up the lyrics but they don't make much sense (just like most pop music, I guess) so I have no idea what the song is about (if anything). But I just love how the song sounds – especially the drums, fast paced and kind of frantic (maybe the blowing leaves portrayed a frantic-ness?). Of course, that seems to be my reason for most of my favorite music – it just sounds good! Kind of hard to argue with that, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment