Thursday, December 9, 2010

Where can I get some of those seeds?

I haven't posted about a kids book for a while, so I thought I'd mention Weslandia by Paul Fleischman, which was always one of the boys favorites when they were little. I'm not sure what happened to the copy we had, but a while ago Maddie and I were in the library and saw it, so we checked it out and she loved it as much as the boys.  It's a perfect picture book for kids 4 to 8 years old.

WeslandiaWesley doesn't fit in. He doesn't like pizza, soda, or football, and refuses to shave half his head like all the other boys. Nor does he have any friends. But for a summer project he decides to establish his own civilization in the back yard, putting to use some of the things he's learned at school. And thanks to some strange seeds that blow in onto his plot of land, he does that and more.

When I read this to the kids they seemed to get more excited about Wesley's project with each page, and loved looking for all the animals that began appearing among his plants, and the way the other kids became curious about what Wesley was doing. And that's the fun thing about this book: it really pulls children in and they wish they could do the same thing as Wesley. Heck, I wish I could, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment