Sunday, July 28, 2013

Living a boy's adventure tale part II – the musical

For my last post I used a title which seemed appropriate for the book I was reviewing, but actually I ripped it off from a song which I've had it stuck in my head since then. You might remember a band called A-ha that made a big splash back in 1985? They were a trio of Norwegian pretty boys with a cool video for their song "Take On Me" which reached #1 in the US and won a bunch of music awards. In 2002 they were ranked #8 on VH1's Greatest One Hit Wonders. But that's misleading.

Although their popularity in America waned after their first album, it grew in a lot of other countries – especially Brazil. They actually had lots of hits and went on to record 8 more albums, sold an estimated 80 million records, and are ranked in the top 50 highest earning bands of all time. They hold the Guinness World Record for the largest paying pop concert audience (nearly 200,000 people!) at a Rio de Janeiro stadium in 1991. They actually had another US hit from that first album, "The Sun Always Shines on TV," which reached #20, and their song "The Living Daylights" was a James Bond theme song. They only just stopped touring a few years ago. I only know a handful of songs beyond Hunting High And Low, but I still listen to it now and then and I thought I'd share “Living A Boy's Adventure Tale.” I always thought it was a little unusual, but it's still one of my favorites. (Sorry, no official video – just a collage of pictures from some female admirer.)


No comments:

Post a Comment