Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Twenty years of being 'right'

Saturday May 30th, 1992 was one of the best days of my life. That's not to say I haven't had a lot of great days since then, but it feels like all of them depend on that day.

I think it was around 8:30 that morning. Of course, everyone smiles and asks the same question: "Are you nervous?"

No. But after I'd heard the question a hundred times I began to wonder if I should be. Was I missing something?

I asked one of the other grooms in the dressing room if he was nervous. "Everyone keeps asking me that," he said, "but I'm not. It just feels right, you know?" I did know – everything just felt 'right.'


The rest of the day was a bit of a whirlwind. The weather was beautiful and we took pictures on the back side of the Salt Lake Temple because there was scaffolding on the front for cleaning. Someone forgot to have us sign the certificate, but Marilyn Gilmore brought it to the wedding luncheon – although we arrived late because that was our only chance to buy some things we needed before leaving on our honeymoon. (Honest!)


They normally didn't open the garden at the Lion House for receptions before June, but they made an exception since they knew us. And the evening and the reception turned out perfectly beautiful. I thought I'd parked my car where it wouldn't be found but my brothers and sisters and cousins (the Straders) decorated it with shaving cream, shoe polish, Oreo cookies, and aluminum cans.


In some ways that day twenty years ago feels like yesterday and in other ways like we've just always been married. Has everything worked out perfectly for us? Of course not – we've had our ups and downs and joys and quarrels – and when two stubborn people who're both the oldest children in their families come together there's bound to be some challenges. Add four kids and the whirlwind we started 20 years ago just seems to pick up speed each year, but I still feel like the luckiest man in the world... and it still just feels 'right.'

We never really had a song that we called 'ours,' but there were a couple I always thought came close. The one below seems more appropriate than others sometimes. Thanks for the best twenty years of my life, and for putting up with someone who thinks he's always right and knows everything. Happy anniversary, and I love you.

6 comments:

  1. Why, John...I do believe that's a country song! Happy anniversary, you two! I can't believe that I'm old enough to have a sister that's been married that long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Poppy, and yes it's a country song - not many new wave songs were very romantic (and Jamie wouldn't have cared much for them anyway).

      Delete
  2. Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's been that long either... Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. It feels like yesterday and forever at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Gosh....my little girl has been married 20 years and there has not been one moment that I haven't been grateful that she chose you John. I, like you, feel that it was yesterday that you slipped in so effortlessly to our family and at the same time if feels as though you have always been with us. Thank you sweet John for being such a wonderful husband and father and son. Love C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christie. I've always said I got really lucky in the "in-laws dept." (And I'm still working on getting those other videos of Braiden's piano recital uploaded - some are on another camera and I can't find the right cord.)

      Delete