Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Quoting Steinbeck

     "Ma, you scared a goin'?  You scared a goin' to a new place?"
     Her eyes grew thoughtful and soft.  "A little," she said.  "Only it ain't like scared so much.  I'm jus' a settin' here waitin'.  When somepin happens that I got to do somepin - I'll do it."
     "Ain't you thinkin' what's it gonna be like when we get there?  Ain't you scared it won't be nice like we thought?"
     "No," she said quickly.  "No, I ain't.  You can't do that.  I can't do that.  It's too much - livin' too many lives.  Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes, it'll on'y be one.  If I go ahead on all of 'em, it's too much.  You got to live ahead 'cause you're so young, but - it's jus' the road goin' by for me..."
The Grapes of Wrath


No comments:

Post a Comment